Truffle Old Fashioned
A prime example of symbiosis between a bar and restaurant under one roof, Gourmet Truffles + Gourmet Bartenders created a Truffle Old Fashioned from a byproduct of their signature dish, mushroom mousse.
- 2 ounces Chivas Regal 12 Year Scotch, fat-washed with truffle butter
- 1⁄4 ounce smoked portobello mushroom cordial (recipe below)
- 2 dashes Scrappy's chocolate bitters
- shaved black truffle, for garnish
Stir ingredients and strain over hand carved ice into a rocks glass. Twist a piece of lemon zest over the top and garnish with shaved black truffle.
To make smoked mushroom cordial:
1. Dehydrate peelings and stems of portobello mushroom well.
2. Put the completely dehydrated (flavors concentrated) portobello mushroom in an air tight container, use apple wood chip and smoke gun to smoke the mushroom. (Shake the container to quickly and evenly smoke the mushroom for about 3 min)
3. Pour hot water over the mushroom to make "thick broth."
4. Fine strain the mushroom broth, pushing and squeezing off all the liquid.
5. Add equal weight of white sugar to the broth and dissolve the sugar.
6. Add pinch of white truffle salt.